Friday, June 18, 2010

Mama Demands Doo-Dads

I shopped for wedding doo-dads today. Not favors for my OWN wedding, understand. Favors for a woman who doesn't really exist, and a ceremony that won't ever happen. The things authors do for their fictional characters!

With the launch of MAMA GETS HITCHED right around the bend, I've got weddings on the brain. And why wouldn't I? I just spent a year writing a mystery novel set around the Wedding of the Century in tiny (fictional) Himmarshee, Fla.

My Mama character loves weddings. So much so that she's tying the sacred knot for the 5th time. But what's a Bridezilla to do when her caterer winds up dead in the VFW kitchen even before they pass out the first pig-in-a-blanket? Daughter Mace must find the killer, or Mama's Special Day could turn especially deadly.

At some signings, we'll do fun, book-and-wedding-themed events -- women in fashion-mishap bridesmaid frocks, men in pastel tuxes and boutonnieres. I haven't actually found a Pomeranian ring-bearer, complete with satin tux and top hat, like the book's Teensy. Give me time, though. Mama would insist on nothing less.

2 comments:

Vickie said...

Oh, lordy, I wish you were heading to our neck of the woods here in the Denver burbs.
Thank you so much for visiting my blog and the nice comments on my review of your book. It's got my buds all a twitter and buying the first two books.

Deborah Sharp said...

Hi, Vickie ... pleased to see you found your way to my blog ... not kept up nearly as current as yours! We've got some good friends in Denver, including another Vicky, tho with a Y (Collins). You never know, the hubby and I may make it out there someday.
Cheers!